Position: Chair, Board of Directors
Established in 2000, Art City in St. James Town is a charitable, not-for-profit organization that provides after-school and weekend multidisciplinary art programs, free of charge, to the children and youth who reside in this community. Located in a storefront on Sherbourne street, Art City is fully integrated into one of Canada’s most densely populated and culturally diverse neighbourhoods, and is a safe and non-discriminatory environment that encourages passion for artistic expression, a connection to the community, and a difference in their future.
The Board of Directors of Art City seeks a volunteer Board Chair with relevant professional experience to support Art City. The Board provides support in fundraising, strategic development, promoting the mission of Art City and supports the long-term success of the organization.
- Chair and attend monthly board meetings
- Spend an average of 10-15 hours per month on Art City Business
- Fulfill a 2-year term, with the possibility of renewal
- A high level of administrative, organizational and leadership experience
- Knowledge of fundraising, non-profit management, governance strategies
- Strong connections to funding, donors, sponsors and potential partners
- Knowledge of board governance and previous board experience are an asset
- Communicate with the Board of Directors on monthly meetings preparations
- Meet with Executive Director regularly (once every 5 or 6 weeks)
- Organize logistics for fundraising dinner and Annual General Meeting
- Coordinate with Treasurer on financial status
- Attend neighbourhood meetings (St. James Town Youth Network)
- Support Art City through personal donations
How to Apply:
Those interested in this position please submit a resume and cover letter to Art City at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Application Deadline is December 12, 2018.
Position: Board Member
Established in 2000, Art City in St. James Town is a not-for-profit organization that provides after-school and weekend multidisciplinary art programs, free of charge, to the children and youth who reside in the community. Art City is fully integrated into one of Canada’s most densely populated and culturally diverse neighbourhoods. It is a safe and non-discriminatory environment that encourages children’s passion for artistic expression, connects them to the community, and makes a difference in their future.
Art City is currently accepting applications to fill 3-year term volunteer vacancies on the Board of Directors. Art City is interested in individuals with both personal and professional experience in any two of the following areas:
- Business development and financial management
- Fundraising (including professional fundraising and knowledge of receiving funds)
- Funder and government relationship building
- Arts education
- Not-for-profit charitable organization management
Directors are required to attend monthly meetings and participate in the Annual General Meeting; these are hosted at 545 Sherbourne St, Unit 4.
To be eligible, applicants should:
- Be able to make informed decisions that reflect the best interests of the organization, community, and individuals served.
- Participate in a one-day board orientation session.
- Participate actively on at least one committee.
- Be available for two to three hours for each monthly meeting.
- Be able to expand the organization’s resource base by sharing expertise, actively supporting fundraising efforts, and (optionally) making annual donations.
- Bring a high degree of interest or expertise in the areas the organization addresses.
- Be at least 18 years of age, a resident and/or employed in the City of Toronto.
To apply, please submit the following to Art City at email@example.com:
- A letter of interest describing how you intend to contribute to Art City’s growth and development
- A resume
Criteria used for review of Board Membership applications:
- Previous board experience
- Demonstrated ability to apply critical thinking to strategy
- Demonstrated ability to contribute to strategic planning and non-profit development efforts
- Commitment to promoting Art City’s mission, values, and beliefs
We look forward to hearing from you!