Instructor – Fashion Design for Youth
Art City in St. James Town
Dates: September 10th, 2018 – March 8th, 2019
Position Type: Part-Time, One day/week 3:30-6:30pm
Application Deadline: September 7th, 2018
Compensation: Honorarium ($240 per session, 22-25 sessions)
About the Position:
Art City is currently looking for artist/educators to instruct a weekly Fashion Design class to up to 15 young artists (aged 9-16) in the afterschool hours of 4-6pm. The Fashion Design Instructor would develop and deliver this programming, incorporating the young artists’ interests and working with them to develop their skills. The successful candidate would be experienced in Fashion Design with knowledge of the principles of Fashion design, branding, sewing, and alteration. Experience in make-up and hairstyling techniques is an asset, but is not required. They will be capable of working effectively with the support of two staff members and volunteers.
This program is part of Art City’s Youth Leadership Program, in which a group of 15 tweens and teens decided to create the Fashion Design for Youth after-school program. These youths will be participants in the program and will take on volunteer duties on a rotating basis. They will be assessing the program periodically, and may make some changes to the program structure or content, in order to increase its accessibility, its relevance to their community, etc. They will also have a hand in evaluating the program in March 2019. They are supervised by the Executive Director.
About Art City:
Art City in St. James Town is a not-for-profit organization that provides after-school and weekend multidisciplinary art programs, free of charge, to the children and youth who reside in the St. James Town community. Located in a storefront on Sherbourne street, Art City is fully integrated into one of Canada’s most densely populated and culturally diverse neighbourhoods, and is a safe and non-discriminatory environment that encourages passion for artistic expression and a connection to the community.
• Plan and facilitate Fashion Design activities, appropriate for beginners
• Allow young artists to be creative and explore their interests and skills
• Provide a list of materials and a brief lesson plan 3 business days in advance of each lesson
• Assist in the preparation of the studio space and work materials
• Provide support and guidance to the children as they complete their work
• Provide positive and constructive feedback to students about their work
• Create and foster a positive environment that promotes positive attitudes and the development of healthy, empathetic relationships between the children and the adults that are volunteering
• Lead the young artists in cleaning up the studio at the end of each day
• Knowledge of various Fashion Design techniques
• Experience working with children and/or teens
• Passionate about the arts and can transfer that passion to a group of students
• Capability to work as part of a collaborative team
• Great verbal communication skills
• Strong time management and creative problem solving skills
• Ability to think on your feet and adjust to changing environments
• Awareness of and sensitivity to culturally diverse communities
• Ability to speak the following languages is an asset: Tamil, Tagalog, Telugu, Hindi.
Interested candidates should submit the following to firstname.lastname@example.org by September 7th at midnight:
• resume and cover letter
• a draft curriculum plan for first 6 program sessions.
Only successful applicants will be contacted.
Successful applicants over the age of 18 will be required to complete and pay for a Police Reference Check, which will be reimbursed by Art City.
Art City is committed to employment equity and we encourage all people, regardless of their ethnic, racial, religious, gender, sexual orientation or dis/ability status to apply.
This program is supported by: